Click here for more information
The EDCFSC has received grant funds to provide chipping for neighborhoods willing to work together to be fire safe. All you need to do is complete the items below:
- Create defensible space by clearing brush 30′-100′ from buildings and 20′ from roads. Please refer to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection pamphlet enclosed for further guidance on creating defensible space. We encourage participants in the program to have a residence on the property. Scheduling priority will be given to those who have a residence on the property.
- Place brush piles so the chipping machine and crew can have access. The piles need to be adjacent to a driveway or street. Preferably pile brush on the uphill side. Do not place piles along busy, heavily traveled roadway, where signage or addition crew would be required by County or State Code for safety. This is not covered under the Fire Safe Council’s contract. Also, when placing the brush piles place it in an area that will be out of your way and in a location that there is access for the equipment to turn around. Refer to the picture for an example of the equipment.
- Recently removed vegetation will chip better than old dried out branches and shrubs.
- It is easier and more efficient to chip the piles if they are wider and spread out rather than taller. All the cut ends need to be facing the same direction. Please follow the diagram below for additional instruction on preparing your piles.
- The chipper can handle material up to 7″ in diameter (no root balls). The equipment does not chip individual branches that are small (rakings) or old-decayed wood well.
- Keep all piles free of rocks, dirt, wire, lumber, spiny plants, poison oak, and blackberries. The chipper can not chip piles of pine needles or leaves. You can dispose of this material in green waste dumpsters.
- Please refer to the Green Waste Disposal page for a list of Green waste dumpster locations or for more information go to: www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/emd
- The FSC requires the “Request for Chipping” form be completed and signed before chipping is done on your property. Please mail your form once your piles are ready for chipping. Currently, it takes approximately 2-weeks from the time we receive the form to the date you are assigned for chipping.
- The fire safe council does not operate equipment on RED FLAG warning/watch days as determined by the National Weather Service. If you are scheduled for chipping on a day that is a red flag warning/watch day you will be rescheduled.
Pre-inspections are available upon request.
You do not have to be home the day you are scheduled for chipping. The EDCFSC will provide a maximum of 1-day chipping services per residence per year.
Once you have completed the requirements listed above, fill out and submit the “Request for Chipping” form, accessible by clicking here.
If you have questions, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once your form has been received, you will be contacted and scheduled for chipping