The EDCFSC has received grant funds to provide chipping services for neighborhoods and individual homeowners willing to work to make their property fire safe. All you need to do is complete the items below:
- Create defensible space by clearing brush 30′-100′ from buildings and 20′ from roads. Please refer to the CAL FIRE pamphlet (click here to download a copy) for further guidance on creating defensible space. We encourage participants in the program to have a residence on the property. Scheduling priority will be given to those who have a residence on the property.
- Place brush piles so the chipping machine and crew can have access. The piles need to be adjacent to a driveway or street. Preferably pile brush on the uphill side. Do not place piles along busy, heavily traveled roadway, where signage or addition crew would be required by County or State Code for safety. This is not covered under the Fire Safe Council’s contract. Also, when placing the brush piles place it in an area that will be out of your way and in a location that there is access for the equipment to turn around. Refer to the picture for an example of the equipment.
- Recently removed vegetation will chip better than old dried out branches and shrubs.
- It is easier and more efficient to chip the piles if they are wider and spread out rather than taller. All the cut ends need to be facing the same direction. Please follow the illustration below for additional instruction on preparing your piles.
- The chipper can handle material up to 7″ in diameter (no root balls). The equipment does not chip individual branches that are small (rakings) or old-decayed wood well.
Your piles should look like the one in the picture below. Improperly stacked or located piles may not be chipped (contractors option).
- Keep all piles free of rocks, dirt, wire, lumber, spiny plants, poison oak, and blackberries. The chipper can not chip piles of pine needles or leaves. You can dispose of this material in green waste carts available from El Dorado Disposals or in Community Cleanup Green Waste Dumpsters when they are available.
- You can complete the Request for Chipping form online by clicking Here. Currently, it takes approximately 2-weeks from the time we receive the request to the date you are assigned for chipping.
- The fire safe council contractors do not operate equipment on RED FLAG warning days as determined by the National Weather Service. If you are scheduled for chipping on a day that is a Red Flag warning day you will be rescheduled.
Pre-inspections are available upon request. You do not have to be home the day you are scheduled for chipping. The EDCFSC will provide a maximum of 1-day chipping services per residence per year. Once you have completed the requirements listed above, fill out and submit the “Request for Chipping” form, accessible by clicking here. If you have questions, E-mail: Once your form has been received, you will be contacted and scheduled for chipping.