El Dorado County Fire Safe Council
Fire Safe Council Meeting
Gold Hill Fire Station
6051 Gold Hill Road
November 18, 2009
10:00 - 12:15 pm
- The meeting was called to order by Ken Hasse, Chairperson, at 10:05 am. Those in attendance were:
Bill Brandt, Barbara Calvo, Leo Chaloux, Linda Colombo, Mary Cornelison, Richard Englefield, Janet Gastaldi, Joan
Jennings, Richard Krek, Bill Smith, Jim Stewart and Lori Tuthill
- The sign in sheet was passed around.
- Approval of Agenda: A motion to approve the agenda was made by Jim Stewart, 2nd by Leo Chaloux,
and approved by all present.
- Approval of Minutes: A motion to approve the minutes from the October 28th BOD Meeting was
made by Jim Stewart, 2nd by Joan Jennings, and approved by all present.
- Report from Executive Board Meeting on November 4, 2009 - Ken Hasse
- The Executive Board was in agreement that the EDCFSC has outgrown our procedures. We depend too
much on the Executive Coordinator. We agreed that we should form a committee to develop a records storage and
retrieval system and manual. The Executive Board also feels that the Satellite Councils would benefit from a
workshop on writing proposals for grant dollars and a workshop on project management.
- Formation of Committee on records storage/retrieval and procedures: A motion to approve the formation
of a Storage Retrieval/Procedure Manual Committee with Richard Englefield as the Chairperson, Linda Colombo, Bill Smith,
Barbara Calvo and Vicki Yorty (ex officio) as the members was made by Jim Stewart, 2nd by Mary Cornelison, and
approved by all present. The committee will meet on December 1st & December 8th at 9:00 am at the EDCFSC Office
in Camino. The committee will provide monthly reports to the Board.
- Vicki has purchased a new computer and Richard suggested that rather than transferring old files to
the new computer, it would be a good idea to purchase an external drive for her to store older files on. A motion to
approve a maximum of $750 dollars to buy an external drive and any other computer software to expedite the transition to
Vicki's new computer was made by Jim Stewart, 2nd by Bill Smith, approved by all present.
- Treasurer's Report: Richard Englefield
- Richard met with the Accountant and went over what kind of information we are looking for on
the new reports.
- The Accountant is struggling with Vicki's spreadsheet due to compatibility issues. Richard
has Version 9 of QuickBooks and the account has a different version.
- Vicki reported that there are currently 13 active projects and she will have the accountant
hide the in-active projects on the spreadsheet for the monthly reporting. We will also be going to an accrual system.
The report will show the amount spent and the balance of each project each month.
- Vicki handed out a copy of the EDCFSC Check Register from April to October 2009.
- Our balance at the end of October was $341,000. Richard discussed that by putting some of our
large balances of money in a 30, 60 or 90 day CD or money market account, we could make interest on the money.
Vicki thinks that any interest earned on Federal Grant Dollars would have to go back to the feds but she will
check into that.
- Ken Hasse made the following suggestions regarding accounting: His experience with running 2009
QuickBooks and QuickBooks XP is that there is upward compatibility but not backwards compatibility. He suggested
having Vicki do her entries into QuickBooks (we could use the 2005 version we already have) and send them to the
accountant. He feels that it has been extremely helpful to have QuickBooks on his machine because it has made
it easier to access reports and financial information for the Board.
- Bylaw Committee Report - Joan Jennings
- Joan reviewed the proposed revisions to the Conflict of Interest Policy that Bill Wright
suggested with the Board and called for approval from the Board. A motion to approve the revised Conflict of
Interest Policy was made by Jim Stewart, 2nd by Joan Jennings and approved by all present. New Conflict of
Interest Forms will be signed and approved by the Board at the next meeting.
- Because the Executive Board decided that the treasurer would be taking on more
responsibilities, Joan and Ken would like to revise the Job Descriptions of both the Treasurer and the Executive
Coordinator in the Bylaws. Therefore, the final approval of the Bylaw revisions will be made once the Job
Description revisions have been made. Joan will work on the revisions and forward to the Bylaw Committee
members for their review.
- Executive Coordinator's Report
- Vicki handed out the final version of Appendix M from the Strategic Planning Meeting. All
are asked to review it and we will approve it by email vote.
- Vicki reported back about her research of what insurance the EDCFSC has. We have a General
Liability Policy, an Auto Policy and a Personal Property Policy. The Directors are covered for Errors and
Omissions. We do not have any coverage for our volunteers. The Board will research the Volunteer Insurance
that Zurich is offering and try to find others.
- Vicki sent The Title III MOU for Defensible Space Inspections to all the Fire Chiefs. To
date she has only received a couple back.
- Director's Reports: None
- Old Business: None
- New Business: None
- Public Comment: None
Adjourn: A motion to adjourn was made by Mary Cornelison at 12:15 pm, 2nd by Barbara Calvo and approved by all present.
Submitted by: Lori Tuthill, Secretary EDCFSC