El Dorado County Fire Safe Council
Board of Directors Meeting
Gold Hill Fire Station
6051 Gold Hill Road
February 23, 2011
Present were: Board Members Bill Brandt, Leo Chaloux, Richard Englefield, Ken Hasse,
Richard Krek, Jim Stewart, Bill Smith, Mary Cornelison and Ray Griffiths
Visitors: Linda Columbo, Linda Dwyer, Pat Dwyer, Ed Grout, Jill Kunder, D.B Kunder, Chrystie
Davis, Judi Irwin, Duane Nelson, Joan McNamara, Karsten Schulz, Teru Mizuhara, Gene
Murphy, Mike Pott, and Ray Pingle
The meeting was adjourned at about 11:15 am.
- The meeting was called to order at about 10:05 am. Board members and visitors
- Rich Krek moved to accept the agenda, seconded by? All approved.
- Jim Stewart moved to accept the January 26, 2011 minutes as written; Rich Krek
seconded and all present approved.
- Review of Meeting with CAFSC Grant Clearinghouse - Inadvertently skipped. Added in
as 5a below.
- CAFSC Board Meeting - Ken Hasse reported on the Feb 9th CAFSC Board of Directors
The new Executive Director Pat Kidder reported that there would be no new 2011
funding, entitlements and stimulus money would not be available. They (CAFSC) need
to reduce expenses and staff reductions are expected. The deadline for 2012 grant
applications was moved back to June 1. Two workshops per region are planned but have
not been scheduled. Their CAFSC worst case scenario is a shut down in 2013.
Jim Stewart reported that Frank Stewart (CAFSC Board member) would present a
proposal for funding of FSC Coordinators at an upcoming Sierra Nevada Conservancy
- Ken Hasse played some segments from a recording made at the January 27th meeting
with Dan Lang and Liron Galliano of the CAFSC Grants Clearinghouse. Liron stated
that "borrowing from one grant to pay costs for another is prohibited." Dan Lang said
"don't spend it until you've got it" and described another grantee that "drove off the
cliff", is now bankrupt and cannot pay the contractor. CAFSC is seeking a $54,000 grant
As a result of the audit findings CAFSC suspended all grant payments to EDCFSC until
corrections to our financial management procedures are made and documented.
(Corrections have since been made and payments have been resumed.)
There was some discussion on senior assistance funds, qualifications and overspending
on the 2009 Senior/Disabled assistance program.
Linda Columbo was told that contractor selection for the Nashville/Sandridge project
- Committees - The BOD agreed that it was appropriate to have off board committee
members. The following committees were formed.
- Operations Manual/RFP Richard Krek agreed to chair a committee consisting
of Rich, Bill Smith and Jim Stewart to complete the work on the Federal Grants
Management Policy and to develop a Request for Proposal(RFP) document for an
Executive Coordinator position
- Bill Brandt will chair the Finance Committee with members Richard Englefield,
Chrystie Davis, and Pat Dwyer. The purpose is to identify sources of unrestricted
- The Outreach Committee members are Leo Chaloux (chair), Judi Irwin and Ray
Griffiths. This committee will organize the EDCFSC participation in events such
as the Home & Garden Show, Diamond Springs Bazaar and others.
- RAC Report - Richard Englefield The first section evaluation was postponed. Group
two will meet on Feb 23rd. Group 1 (including Happy Valley FSC) will reschedule to
March 7th. The GF burn was eliminated but may be included with future Forest Service
- Treasurer's Report - Richard E. Financial reports were emailed to all Board members.
All reimbursements must be preapproved. Our mail is finally being forwarded from
Chief Pang's request for reimbursement under the 4291 inspection MOU was returned
because it was $1800 over the authorized amount and lacked adequate documentation. It
will be resubmitted.
- Directors Reports - None
- Jim Stewart moved to adjourn. Motion was seconded and all approved.
Submitted by: Ken Hasse, Chairperson